Our Church’s New Statement of Values
Our church recently added a few new “Statement of Values” to their Constitution. They were read a few weeks ago after the service. We stood up and clapped! They are excellent. Some of them already existed but the elders wanted to make sure the congregation knew where they stood on all of these issues plaguing our culture. All biblical churches need to add these to their Constitution in these perilous times.
- We believe that life begins at conception. We believe that all human life is specifically created by God in His image, and is therefore of inestimable worth in all its dimensions including preborn babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other state of condition until God’s predetermined number of days for that life are completed. (Psalm 139:13-16; Job 14:5; Genesis 1:27; Genesis 2:7)
- We believe that God has created mankind male and female and that these two distinct genders reflect the image and nature of God. We believe that an individual’s gender as a male or a female is based solely on that person’s biological sex as determined at conception and that the rejection of, or any conduct designed to alter, disguise, or change one’s gender or sex is a rejection of God’s perfect design for that person. (Genesis 1:27; Mark 10:6; Deuteronomy 22:5)
- We believe marriage is ordained by God. The church defines “marriage” as the exclusive covenantal union of one man and one woman in which such union is a lifetime commitment. A civil government’s sanction of a union will be recognized as a legitimate marriage by the church only to the extent that it is consistent with the definition of “marriage” found in these Articles. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6; 1 Corinthians 7:2; Genesis 2:18)
- We believe legitimate sexual relations are exercised solely within marriage. Hence, sexual activities outside of marriage (referred to in the New Testament as “porneia”) including but not limited to adultery, premarital sex, homosexuality, and pedophilia are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible and the Church. Further, lascivious conduct, transgender behavior, and the creation and/or distribution and/or viewing of pornography are incompatible with the biblical witness. (1 Corinthians 6:18; 2 Timothy 2:22; James 4:3,4; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
- We believe that God created male and female in God’s image, equal before God as persons, yet designed with different, complementary roles. God ordained the principle of male headship in multiple spheres including the home and the church. In the church, the role of pastor/elder is reserved for men. (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 5:23; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Timothy 2:12-14; Titus 2:3-5)